Whether you’re operating in an ISO, participating in an Energy Imbalance Market, or wheeling power to and from ISOs, most utilities are impacted by wholesale power markets. In order to make informed decisions related to these markets, you need data about them. In this session we will discuss commonly used wholesale power market data (pricing, generation, load, congestion, system conditions, transmission outages).
We will cover easy ways to get access to this data and then spend time with utilities presenting examples of using this wholesale power market data to make better decisions. Specific data analysis examples will include, using data to better understand power market dynamics around your load or generation assets, leveraging data to make more informed plant dispatch decisions, properly hedging assets and load against market risk, and leveraging wholesale power market data in long term planning decisions.
- Learn about the different kinds of wholesale power market data and how each type can be relevant to utilities
- Understand options for getting access to this data
- Learn how utilities use wholesale power market this data to gain insights such as:
- What drives pricing at relevant generation, load, or intertie nodes
- Understanding congestion and how to manage their congestion risk
- Making more informed plant dispatch decisions
- Leveraging power market data in long term planning